STAY IN THE LOOP
Photo of the Week
Share your photos on Facebook and Instagram using #DowntownLudington and your photo could be featured!
WEEK IN REVIEW
CULTURE & MEDIA
- LACA was nominated for a Great Lakes Energy Community Grant. If you are a Great Lakes Energy customer, you can vote here to help them secure $5,000 in funding. Hurry, though! Voting ends at Midnight tonight (August 5th).
- Mason County Historical Society posted this Throw Back Thursday photo of the Ludington Fire Department in it’s “early days”.
- Sandcastles Children’s Museum is benefiting from the donations for pony rides at our Final Friday Experience events. Thanks to Jayne for volunteering to collect!
- The Library shared the Michigan Notable Book list for 2021. Every year, the Library of Michigan selects up to twenty of the most notable books, either written by a Michigan resident or about Michigan or the Great Lakes. The selected books are honored in the year after their publication or copyright date. Each selected title speaks to our state’s rich cultural, historical, and literary heritage and proves without a doubt that some of the greatest stories are found in the Great Lakes State.
Each of these notable books for 2021 are available either right in our libraries, as ebooks, or through https://libraryaware.com/2CMABS as an interlibrary loan. Call and ask about borrowing one today!
- ABC Kidz is accepting fall clothes by appointment. Call the store for details. 231-843-3734.
- Avenue’s End Mini Mall featured Helen’s Creations booth. Helen is 101 years young and still decorating these beautiful hand-painted pillows.
- Backstage Hobbies & Games have Mario character plushies in the store!
- Cedar Chest received new formal dresses and they are out on the floor.
- Evergreen Natural Foods Market has marked down their yoga mats at 30% off.
- Giving Tree Garden Center featured more spinners. This one is 10 feet tall!
- Gliks featured plaid shackets for men and women this week.
- Ludington Hobbies asked their followers if they would like to see them open shop in the Manistee area. You can weigh in on their FB page.
- Ludington Wood & Craft showed us a spalted maple friction box that they put on the shelf last week. They also have board butter for your cutting boards.
- Mariellen’s Hallmark featured these Michigan-made candles and they are now carrying Dr. Squatch soap in the store!
- My Sister’s Closet posted pics of some of their new arrivals, including these cute Ludington pillows.
- Purple Monkey Children’s Boutique featured this pear onsie and announced that new bee-themed sleep sacks are in the shop. They are also now carrying the brand Petit Lem.
- Snyder’s Shoes summer sale is still happening!
- Spindrift Cyclesports came through with Noah’s Christmas present! Bikes have been hard to get so grab em while they have em!
- Sweet Peach Children’s Boutique have two of their favorite brands back this fall: Colored Organics and Copper Pearl. They have many styles for back-to-school shopping. They also announced that they will be carrying Heidi’s Darn Good Cookies in the shop!
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography posted a link to their 21 minute documentary Todd Reed: 50 Years of Michigan Through A Lens which was produced by Lake FX Media.
- Trailhead Bike Shop has new water bottles in stock!
- Windowsill posted about new books they have in the shop.
- Cafe 106 was excited to their air conditioner replaced last week after a few weeks without.
- Chef John’s is closed until August 14th due to a positive Covid case.
- Crown & Cork featured their Scottish Salmon, Shrimp Scampi, and Fruit & Nut Plate last week. They will be closed this Friday for a private event.
- HumaniTea has a new drink for August: Lemonilla Lemonad. It’s a classy twist on a classic lemonade! Our delightfully refreshing lemonilla lemonade combines our delicious lemonade with a splash of vanilla for a scrumptiously thirst-quenching treat!
- Jamesport Brewing Co will be closed on Mondays due to staffing shortages.
- Krave Frozen Yogurt served up treats for the SS Badger’s crew appreciation day.
- Luciano Ristoranti showed us some behind the scenes pics of their handmade pasta.
- Q Smokehouse showed us some desserts!
- Sportsman’s featured their Blueberry Mojito made with fruit from the local Couturier Farm.
- Table 14 featured their Cilantro Lime Grilled Catfish, Seared Catfish with Peach Mango Mint glaze, Smoked Whitefish Dip, and Blueberry Cobbler with homemade vanilla bean whipped cream.
- The Mitten Bar posted the board (this is as of August 2). And nitro is back!
THURSDAY – AUGUST 5
- Nat’l IPA Day – Hit up our breweries!
- NAUTICAL YARN // Knit & Crochet on the Patio 1-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Live in the Plaza feat. Road Less Traveled // 5-8pm
- ROTARY PARK // Movies In The Park // 7:30pm
- Birthday: Shelby Soberalski at the SS Badger
FRIDAY – AUGUST 6
- Nat’l Root Beer Float Day
- International Beer Day
- SANDCASTLES // Friday’s on the Deck // Caricature Drawings w/ John Marek // 11am
- LIBRARY // Family Fun Craft Bags // 11am-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Farmers Market // 3-7pm
- LACA // More or Less Exhibit Reception // 5pm
- LUDINGTON BAY // Live Music feat. Fremont John // 6pm
- SANDCASTLES // Theater Show: THE AMAZING AND ALMOST TRUE TALL-TALE OF OSSAWALD CRUMB AND THE MICHIGAN WHITE PINE // 7pm
- Birthdays: Barry Neal from HOF
SATURDAY – AUGUST 7
- Nat’l Lighthouse Day – Visit the North Pier Light or Point Sable Lighthouse
- LEGACY PLAZA // Run The Beach 5k // Register online or on race day // 9am
- CEDAR CHEST // Bag Sale
- SANDCASTLES // Theater Show: THE AMAZING AND ALMOST TRUE TALL-TALE OF OSSAWALD CRUMB AND THE MICHIGAN WHITE PINE // 11am
SUNDAY – AUGUST 8
- National Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Neighbor’s Porch Day
- WEST END // Lighthouse Triathlon // 7:30am
- LACA // Oil Painting w/ Justin David Gustafson // 1-4pm
- SANDCASTLES // Theater Show: THE AMAZING AND ALMOST TRUE TALL-TALE OF OSSAWALD CRUMB AND THE MICHIGAN WHITE PINE // 2pm
- Birthdays : Mike Benedict, helped with the Locks of Love sculpture
MONDAY – AUGUST 9
- National Book Lovers Day // Find books downtown
- SANDCASTLES :// Messy Mondays // Puffy Paint Ice Cream Cone Craft
- LIBRARY// Kids Outdoor Activities // 10am
- Birthdays : Renee Malburg from Five Star
TUESDAY – AUGUST 10
- National S’mores Day
- Taco Tuesday
- SANDCASTLES // Toddler Tuesday
- LIBRARY // Outdoor Story Time // 10am
- CARTIER PARK // Invasive Species Program // 10am
- U DIG IT COMMUNITY GARDEN // AFFEW Youth Summer Series // 10am
- STEARNS BEACH (NORTH END) // Lud Pub Run Club // 6pm
- SPINDRIFT CYCLESPORTS // 6pm // Girls Bike Ride Night
- EPWORTH HEIGHTS // Momentum 5×5 Pitch Night // 6pm
This is a free event, open to the public. Locals who have a viable, small business or an entrepreneurial idea may enter the Momentum 5×5 Competition, which will award start-up funds to the winner. Both nonprofit and for-profit Mason County organizations are encouraged to enter. A complete, written business plan is not required to submit an entrepreneurial idea.Other details of the pitch contest:
* Five finalists will be chosen to present their pitches.
* Participants will present their business plans to a panel of judges and on August 10 at Epworth Heights in Ludington.
* Each entrant gets five minutes to pitch an idea.
* The winner will receive $5,000.
WEDNESDAY – AUGUST 11