Photo of the Week
Share your photos on Facebook and Instagram using #DowntownLudington and your photo could be featured!
WEEK IN REVIEW
CULTURE & MEDIA
- LACA hosted Moheb Soliman for a book reading of his book (which you can purchase at Book Mark) : Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior: HOMES. Moheb traces the coast of the Great Lakes with postmodern poems, exploring the natural world, the experience of belonging, and the formation of identity along borders. LACA hosted the reading and a discussion of overlapping perspectives and backgrounds regarding relationships to place, water and environment issues, the Great Lakes region, and Ludington’s special corner of it.
They are also gearing up for the West Shore Art Fair. You can find maps and lists of vendors on the Facebook event.
- Sandcastles Children’s Museum received a rave review from childhood educator, Megan Harsar Kalchert, who was visiting the area.
“We are on vacation and today the morning weather was rainy, so we couldn’t head to the beach. How lucky were we to find this museum!! Our three kids, ages 6 and under LOVED it! Our 4 year old was heartbroken to leave! As an early childhood educator, I can truly say Sandcastle Children’s Museum was designed with so much thought and concern for the enjoyment and happiness of children and their natural form learning, PLAY! As a parent, I loved the layout, and the variety of activities, and the warm genuine nature of the staff! Every staff member was kind and helpful and you can really tell they are dedicated to making sure every family has a wonderful experience! How lucky is Ludington to have this invaluable space?!”
- The Library has some suggestions for readers that love the Baby Sitters Club and some antiracist readers.
- WMOM talked with Ludington Hobbies this week. They also have the keys to that 2021 Ford Escape locked up and those who have registered will be able to enter their code to see if they can unlock the box and take the vehicle home! You can still register. They also listed area fireworks shows. And Jen will be co-hosting the parade broadcast with Chris on WMOM! Tune in on Facebook at 12:30pm to see the 1-mile race ahead of the parade start.
- ABC Kidz summer sale started Tuesday. Check out the 25% off racks!
- AGS has new tees! Pick your design and they can make one in your size.
- Avenue’s End Mini Mall showed us some patriotic decor items on the floor right now.
- Backstage Hobbies & Games has a new squishable… Sakura Dragon. If you want to go on a crazy adventure working together to solve mysteries and stop the darkness spreading around monsters and evil, they just got a restock of not only Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror. They also have a used Fortnite Switch and many games in stock.
- Cedar Chest has an assortment of denim shorts and jeans. Stop in for their monthly bag sale this Saturday!
- Everest Athleisure showed us some new tanks.
- Evergreen Natural Foods Market has new market baskets handmade with love from Africa. Perfect for the Farmers Market, which will be in the plaza this Friday!
- Giving Tree Garden Center has liquid fence in stock, as well as a large selection of deer resistant plants.
- Gliks showed off some of their patriotic apparel this week.
- HumaniTea has announced the new One Light for Hope candle. They worked with the House & Harbor candle company to design this candle to help light the way forward for trafficking survivors. Featuring a beautiful wood wick and a fresh white pepper and birch scent, this candle shines a light in the darkness. $5 of every candle sold goes directly to our local Human Trafficking Prevention and Victim Support fund. YOU can be one light for hope!
- Ludington Wood & Craft has some new handmade items on the shelf. Check out our Business Spotlight to meet Brian and hear his story.
- Mariellen’s Hallmark is counting down the days until the 2021 Ornament Premiere! Have you filled out your Wish List yet? It’s not too late!
Here’s how:1. Visit http://bit.ly/21WishList or fill out the paper version included in your Dream Book2. Submit your list to your local Hallmark Gold Crown StoreAnd that’s it! Your store will have your ornaments bagged and ready for you to pick up at each ornament release event.
- Maude’s has started “Monday with Maude” to showcase an artisan each week. This week is jeweler Laurel Moon. She has been with us since the beginning. 20+ years. This Michigander loves to incorporate gemstones with her high quality beading and metal elements. She recently started doing copper etching and develops her own unique pendants. I absolutely love her beaded bracelets with her leaf motifs!
- My Sister’s Closet showed us a pair of Sloggers, this amazing red Kate Spade bag, and these patriotic outfits.
- Nautical Yarn sent out their summer newsletter and online class schedule this week. They also have in-person Swoncho classes and a beginning macramé class. They also snapped a few pics of their fun weekend with Steven B.
- Opus shared a fun fact with us: 85% if all clothes made will end up in a land fill or incinerators in two years. Most of that is polyester (plastic) and does not biodegrade. This means buying upcycled and used clothing is a great way to help the environment.
- Purple Monkey Children’s Boutique featured Copper Pearl sleep sacks this week as well as 4 reasons they love Ruffle Butt Swim Suits. These new styles and patterns are available and will go quickly!
1. Convenient rear zipper ensures a great fit and super easy on and off experience2. Long sleeves and built-in UPF 50+ for all day long protection3. Ruffles on the butts4. Snaps on the bottom for quick diaper changes
- Snyder’s Shoes featured mens Chaco sandals, which are great for water sports, hiking, camping and kicking around town…but they are the perfect go to sandal for rainy summer weekends.
- Spindrift Cyclesports showed off Kathy’s new bike! They are also the start point for the Slow Rolls, which are back and take place on the same evenings as the sunset bonfires.
- Sweet Peach Children’s Boutique has Ahoy Matey pattern Pete and Lucy sets. They also announced the Silhouette Event on July 21st, which is by iCutYouOut.com. Contact Katy at Sweet Peach to reserve your spot.
- Trailhead Bike Shop has gotten product shipments! Hey, that’s a big deal right now! Check out all these bikes!
- Blu Moon Bistro // Tuna Poke // Forest Floor Soup // Sushi // Chesapeake Oysters // Ribeye with Mushroom Ravioli
- Chef John’s // Bakery Items
- Crown & Cork // Arugula Salad // Strawberry Mojitos // Ribeye with Mac & Cheese
- Jamesport Brewing Co // South West Chicken Wrap // Rodeo Burger // Rueben Brats // Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Keeper’s Fish Shack // Ribbon cutting at 4:30pm today
- Kilwins // Ice Cream Cakes
- Ludington Bay Brewing Co // S’Mores Dark Necessity (now on tap… nitro!)
- Q Smokehouse // Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Sportsman’s // Prime Rib Philly
- Table 14 // Tacos // Strawberry Shortcake // Walleye with Ginger Coconut Curry // Filet Mignon
- Timber’s Bar & Grill // Lobster
- The Mitten Bar is back to 12 taps and they have retail mugs available! These don’t last long!
- West Shore Bank held their 2nd annual Acts of Kindness week. As a community bank, they are thankful to have employees that love giving back to our communities. In the midst of a global pandemic, 2020 was a tough time to find volunteer opportunities. To make up for it, we created Acts of Kindness Week.
THIS MONTH – JULY
- Nat’l Watercolor Month – Class at LACA in August, sign up in July!
- Nat’l Ice Cream Month – House of Flavors, Kilwins Ludington
- Independent Retailer Month
- Nat’l Picnic Month – Have a picnic in Ludington
THURSDAY – JULY 1
- Happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north (and east)
- Nat’l Postal Worker Day, US Postage Stamp Day
- Nat’l Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day
- NAUTICAL YARN // Knit & Crochet on the Patio // 1-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Grand Opening // 3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Slow Roll Bike Ride // 6:30pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Live In The Plaza // 5-8pm // Cheryl Wolfram
- STEARNS PARK BEACH // #PureLudington Sunset Bonfire // 8-10pm // Tom Zatarga
- Happy Birthday : Chase from Lake Michigan CPA
FRIDAY – JULY 2
- World UFO Day
- SANDCASTLES // Friday’s on the Deck // Carnival Day
- LIBRARY // Family Fun Craft Bags // Pickup 11am-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Farmers Market // 3-7pm
- LUDINGTON BAY // John Merchant & Greg Miller // 6-9pm
- Happy Birthday : Monica from Pennies From Heaven
SATURDAY – JULY 3
- International Plastic Bag Free Day
- Nat’l Hop A Park Day
- ROTARY PARK // West Shore Art Fair
- CEDAR CHEST // Bag Sale
- VINTAGE NUTZ // Re-open Celebration // 10am-7pm
Stop in to celebrate the grand reopening of VintageNutz at their new home. They offer New & Used Vinyl Records, Cassettes, CDs, VHS, DVDs, Music Memorabilia, Shirts, Toys and many other nostalgic items. Everyone who makes a purchase will receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win a Custom Wood Vintage Nutz Record Crate and a $25 Gift Certificate.
- SANDBAR // Live Music featuring Yard Sale Underwear // 7-11pm
- Happy Birthday : John from Directors Cut
SUNDAY – JULY 4
- Independence Day
- ROTARY PARK // West Shore Art Fair
- Freedom Festival 1 Mile Dash // 12:30pm
Run the parade route.
- Freedom Festival Parade // 1pm
- SS BADGER // Shoreline Cruise // 9-11pm
- Freedom Festival Fireworks // dusk
- SANDBAR // Live Music featuring Shotman Band// 7-11pm
MONDAY – JULY 5
- Nat’l Workaholics Day
- City Hall is Closed
- SANDCASTLES // Messy Mondays // Fluffy Slime
- NAUTICAL YARN // Social Knit & Crochet Zoom Meeting // 6:00 PM
These ZOOM sessions are great if you need a little help or if you want to knit or crochet and chat with others. Meeting ID: 872 3434 6080
- Happy Birthday : Cheri Stibitz
TUESDAY – JULY 6
- International Kissing Day
- Nat’l Fried Chicken Day
- Taco Tuesday
- LIBRARY // Outdoor Story Time // 10-11am
- LIBRARY // Magic Show // 1-2pm, 7-8pm
- SANDCASTLES // Toddler Tuesday
- STEARNS PARK BEACH // Lud Pub Run Club // 6pm
- SPINDRIFT CYCLESPORTS // 6pm // Girls Bike Ride Night
WEDNESDAY – JULY 7