STAY IN THE LOOP
Photo of the Week
Share your photos on Facebook and Instagram using #DowntownLudington and your photo could be featured!
WEEK IN REVIEW
CULTURE & MEDIA
- LACA will begin accepting artwork for our September ‘LACA Members Exhibit’ Aug. 17, 2021. This exhibit is open to all artist members of the Ludington Area Center for the Arts. Cost is $5 per entry (limit 3). Artists not yet a member of the art center may purchase a membership for $40 when dropping off artwork.
- Sandcastles Children’s Museum hosted Conga Drumming with Thomas Ronquillo last week. They also announced that those who participated in the Clay Castle workshop with Mary Case can stop in and pick up their finished pieces.
- The Library has added the Hoopla service to their digital line up. You can login with your library card number and pin to read, listen and watch. The library is also collecting Pandemic Tales, which will be recorded for local history records. Learn how you can share your story here.
- AGS has new wooden Ludington magnets in stock.
- Avenue’s End Mini Mall has new kids Ludington tees in stock, as well as new Michi-Sours candy.
- Backstage Hobbies & Games has the game Jungle Speed in stock. It’s a crazy card matching game. You keep your eyes on whatever card is flipped up, and if it matches yours you grab the totem from the center! The first player to get rid of all their cards wins! They also have original Xbox and Wii systems on the shelf.
- Book Mark posted a Book Face Friday pic featuring Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor.
- Evergreen Natural Foods Market featured Bach Rescue Pastilles which can help ease feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Giving Tree Garden Center has 25% off annual arrangements. And check out these spinners. They are currently open 10am-5pm daily.
- Gliks manager, Nikole, was promoted to the home office in the buying department, which means that they are now hiring for a store manager! Gliks will be open year round in Ludington. Please send applications, resumes, and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Gliks also announced their Influencer program. If you enjoy sharing photos of cute outfits online and love shopping at Gliks, you can apply here.
- Ludington Wood & Craft has a new cutting board available.
- Mariellen’s Hallmark has an ever changing selection of Natural Life boho style items.
- Maude’s introduced Jill Minidis, who is a new artist with Maudes this year. She went to school for commercial art. Her years in advertising and sign design shines through in her beautiful pen and ink prints of the area. She credits her mother for her artistic talents. She has quite the eye for assemblage of driftwood and beach glass.
- My Sister’s Closet **SIDEWALK SALES** Formal dresses starting at $5. Shoes starting at $3. 75% off clearance and the entire store will be 25% off.
- Nautical Yarn told us the story of the pristine emerald green dress that adorns one of the manikins at the shop. It was Carole’s mom’s dress and it’s from the early 1950’s. She wore it everywhere…church, PTA meetings, mother/daughter banquets…it was her go-to dress. She even stored it in its original “Carson Pirie Scott” box! By the way, Debbie made the beautiful Butterfly Cowl that is shown with the dress.
- Opus showed off a couple jean jacket creations that they have at the store right now.
- Purple Monkey Children’s Boutique **SIDEWALK SALES** Select items and toys 50% off
- Sloaney’s has new Ludington hoodies, mugs, and other items in the store.
- Snyder’s Shoes Summer Sale started Wednesday! Stop in to get some great deals.
- Sweet Peach Children’s Boutique **SIDEWALK SALES** Summer SALE started Wednesday! Shop their website for great deals – you will see some automatic discounts AND use code: SUMMER to save on #PeteandLucy
- Trailhead Bike Shop has Trek Marlins in!
- Victoria’s Jewelry has a beautiful new Michigan necklace and it’s available in white, yellow, sterling and gold-plated sterling.
- Windowsill featured Tony Hillerman novels this week, as well as Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann, The Valley by John Renehan, and Women Talking by Miriam Toews. Follow the links to learn more about each book. And you can find August Book Club info here.
Just a friendly reminder that there is a staffing shortage, especially in the food service industry. Please be patient and kind to your waitstaff!
- Blu Moon Bistro shared a rave review this week. The patron said “Sat at the bar, the margaritas were amazing, lasagna was very good and my husband had the filet and said it was amazing will definitely be back.”
- Chef John’s // Brie & Ham Sandwich
- Crown & Cork // Signature Burger // Grilled Salad
- House of Flavors // Banana Pudding Ice Cream
- Kilwins // Heritage Chocolate // Caramel Apple
- Krave Frozen Yogurt has new flavors this week including Mango Dole Whip, White Chocolate, Swiss Chocolate, Royal Vanilla, Strawberry Banana Sorbetto, and Cookie Dough
- Ludington Bay Brewing Co // Ribs
- Q Smokehouse // Pork Al Pastor Sandwich
- Table 14 // Brûléed Pan Seared Halibut // Whitefish with a lobster tomato sauce //
THURSDAY – JULY 29
- Nat’l Chicken Wing Day – Find out who has wings
- NAUTICAL YARN // Knit & Crochet on the Patio 1-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Live in the Plaza featuring Canopy Space // 5-8pm
- LACA // Todd Reed: 50 Years Seeing Michigan Through a Lens Movie Premier // 5:30pm
The 21 minute documentary Todd Reed: 50 Years Seeing Michigan Through a Lens will debut for the first time ever at the Ludington Area Center for the Arts on Thursday, July 29th at 5:30pm. This family friendly event is free and open to the public. The first 200 in the door will get a seat. After the movie, stay for a meet and greet with Team Reed, a book signing, and an cash bar.
- Birthdays : Jamie Sikon from Krave
FRIDAY – JULY 30
- Nat’l Cheesecake Day
- DOWNTOWN // SIDEWALK SALES
- SANDCASTLES // Friday’s on the Deck // Crafts With Deb
- LIBRARY // Family Fun Craft Bags // 11am-3pm
- LEGACY PLAZA // Farmers Market // 3-7pm
- DOWNTOWN // Final Friday Experience // 3-9pm
Live Music on the Legacy Plaza stage from 3-9pm (Rin Tarsy, followed by American Ages). Farmers Market in the pavilion from 3-7pm. Family friendly activities can be found on the side street LOSD road closures from 6-9pm, including line dancing, cornhole tournament, balloon animals, pony rides, Baby Badger rides, and more!
- Birthdays : Angela Serna – Run Ludington committee
SATURDAY – JULY 31
- Nat’l Mutt Day
- DOWNTOWN // SIDEWALK SALES
- WATERFRONT PARK // WSB Rhythm & Dunes 80’s Retro Night // 6-9pm
Head to Downtown Ludington for FREE a family-friendly 80’s Retro Night featuring Detroit-based band Mega 80’s playing a mix of 80’s retro hits. Food vendors begin at 5 PM and music starts at 6 PM. This fun summer event raises money for local high school music programs. Donations will be accepted at the event or online at RhythmAndDunes.com.
- SANDBAR // Live Music feat. Mr. Whooha // 8pm
- SS BADGER // Pirate of the Inland Seas Shoreline Cruise // 9-11pm
- Birthdays : Melissa Reed – My Sister’s Closet
SUNDAY – AUGUST 1
- National Girlfriends Day | National Friendship Day | National Sisters Day
- DOWNTOWN // SIDEWALK SALES
- LACA // Oil Painting w/ Justin David Gustafson // 1-4pm
- Birthdays : Michael Parker – Naders
MONDAY – AUGUST 2
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day | National Coloring Book Day ( find them at Book Mark, Windowsill, Mariellen’s Hallmark, Backstage Hobbies)
- SANDCASTLES // Messy Mondays // Fly Swatter Painting
- LIBRARY // Outdoor Activities // 10am
- CITY HALL // Downtown Ludington Board Meeting // 3pm
- Birthdays : Carla Bowman from Sloaney’s
TUESDAY – AUGUST 3
- National Night Out Day
- Taco Tuesday
- SANDCASTLES // Toddler Tuesday
- LIBRARY // Outdoor Story Time // 10am
- MARY CASE GALLERY & STUDIO // Vacation Bible School // 3-5 pm // ages 5-15
AUGUST 3, 4 AND 5 FROM – Explore Noah’s Ark with art, singing, and stories.
- STEARNS BEACH (NORTH END) // Lud Pub Run Club // 6pm
- SPINDRIFT CYCLESPORTS // 6pm // Girls Bike Ride Night
WEDNESDAY – AUGUST 4